2012 Kawasaki Z1000
8020 2012 KAWASAKI Z1000 (6)
A thrill to look at, a thrill to ride. The Z1000 – carving a powerful line as it cuts through the atmosphere and even as it stands still – is one of those rare motorcycles that balance a distinctive aesthetic with an engine that pumps out arm-straightening power.
• 1,043cc inline-four with DFI produces a massive amount of torque
• Lightweight aluminum frame specifically designed for the Z1000
• Fully adjustable inverted front fork with settings designed for sporty performance
• Horizontal rear monoshock features stepless rebound damping and spring preload adjustability
• Radial-mounted four-piston front brake calipers and radial-pump front brake master cylinder combine with 300mm discs to provide superior stopping power
• Digital instrument panel tilts to accommodate different viewing angles
• Aggressive styling makes a bold fashion statement
DOHC, 16-Valve, 1,043cc Engine
• Liquid-cooled inline-four offers substantial power at all rpm levels, providing effortless acceleration in almost any situation
• Bore and stroke dimensions of 77.0 x 56.0mm offer the best possible balance of peak power and low and mid-range flexibility
• 38mm downdraft throttle bodies allow intake air to travel to the engine in the shortest possible distance
• Oval sub-throttles help keep the engine slim – a good thing since the throttle bodies are positioned between the rider’s knees
• Soft rev limiter provides good overrev character; power doesn’t drop off suddenly at high rpm
• The crankshaft is positioned low in the crankcase assembly to allow a longer stroke without adding engine height
• A secondary balancer, driven off a gear on the sixth web of the crankshaft, eliminates excess vibration
Cool Air System
• The intake system routes cool air to the airbox from ducts above the radiator shrouds, minimizing performance loss due to heated intake air
• Positioning the ducts close to the rider allows the intake sound to be heard – and enjoyed – by the rider
• A resonator inside the airbox reduces noise at low rpm, and enhances intake sound at high rpm
• The exhaust system features a 4-into-2-pre-chamber-into-2 layout. Silencer end caps maintain the quad-style image
• Main and pre-catalyzers provide cleaner emissions
• Thanks to the under-engine pre-chamber, silencer volume is reduced, and silencer weight is low. Exhaust system offers excellent mass centralization and contributes to a low center of gravity
• Slim-type fuel pump features an integral fuel gauge
• Fuel tank design and slim-type fuel pump minimize unused volume inside the tank; fuel capacity is 4.0 gallons
Aluminum Backbone Frame
• Aluminum backbone frame designed specifically for the Z1000 (and similar in concept to the Ninja® ZX™-10R’s) helps make the bike narrow and easy to grip with the knees for maximum rider comfort and feedback
• Lightweight and highly rigid, the frame uses the engine as a stressed member for a firm, planted feeling and enhanced stability
• Frame is tuned to transmit the ideal level of engine feedback directly to the rider
• The frame’s five-piece construction consists of steering stem, left and right main frames, and two cross pieces. The two main frame components have open C-shaped cross sections
• As much as possible, welds were eliminated for simplicity and appearance. The frame beams and swingarm brackets are now single die-cast pieces
• The frame uses four engine mounts; three mounts are rigid, while the upper rear crankcase mount is rubber
• The rear sub-frame is a three-piece aluminum die-casting construction, which is light, strong and optimizes mass centralization
• The sub-frame is an example of form and function combined, negating the need for side covers and allowing underseat narrowness for a shorter reach to the ground
Horizontal Rear Monoshock
• Rear suspension design positions the shock unit and linkage above the swingarm where it’s less exposed to exhaust heat and contributes to mass centralization
• Visible from the outside, the horizontal monoshock contributes to the Z1000’s aggressive appearance
• Linkage characteristics are the same as those of a standard Uni-Trak® rear suspension: Wheel movement versus shock stroke is the same ratio
• The shock features stepless rebound damping and spring preload adjustability
Fully Adjustable Fork
• The Z1000’s 41mm inverted fork is adjustable for compression damping, rebound damping and spring preload – and is protected from harm by a cool-looking shroud
• Settings are designed for both sporty performance and excellent comfort
Handlebar, Grips and Footpegs
• The tubular handlebar is rigid mounted, contributing to sharp, direct handling
• A wide, flat bend handlebar offers a design similar to those on off-road bikes for excellent control
• Tapered-type grips, like those used on supersport models, offer a more direct feel
• Ninja ZX-10R-style footpegs with knurled surfaces offer good grip, direct feel and control, and no-nonsense looks
• The passenger footpeg brackets incorporate convenient luggage hooks
• The Z1000’s 300mm front petal-style brake discs are gripped by opposed four-piston radial-mount calipers. (Caliper piston size is 4x30 mm)
• A radial-pump front brake master cylinder contributes to the superb control and feel offered by these high-end calipers
• The rear brake is a single-piston, pin-slide caliper gripping a 250mm petal-style disc. The caliper is mounted below the swingarm, and located by a torque rod
• A distinctive tilting instrument panel with multifunction LCD display behind an orange lens covers all systems
- Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, inline-four
- Displacement: 1043 cc
- Bore x Stroke: 77.0 x 56.0 mm
- Compression Ratio: 11.8:1
- Fuel System: DFI® with four 38 mm Keihin throttle bodies, oval sub-throttles
- Ignition: TCBI Digital Advance
- Transmission: 6-Speed
- Final Drive: X-Ring Chain
- Frame Type: Aluminum Backbone
- Rake/Trail: 24.5 deg. / 4.1 in.
- Front Suspension / Wheel Travel: 41 mm inverted cartridge fork with stepless compression and rebound damping, adjustable spring preload / 4.7 in.
- Rear Suspension/Wheel Travel: Horizontal monoshock with stepless rebound damping, adjustable spring preload / 5.4 in.
- Front Tire Size: 120/70 ZR17
- Rear Tire Size: 190/50 ZR17
- Wheelbase: 56.7 in.
- Front Brakes: Dual 300 mm petal-type rotors with radial-mount four-piston calipers
- Rear Brakes: Single 250 mm petal-type rotor with single-piston caliper
- Fuel Capacity: 4.0 gal.
- Seat Height: 32.1 in.
- Overall Length: 82.5 in.
- Overall Width: 31.7 in.
- Overall Height: 42.7 in.
- Color Choices: TBD
- Warranty: 12 months
- Good Times™ Protection Plan: 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
- Engine Type
- Four-stroke, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, inline-four
- 1043 cc
- Bore and Stroke
- 77.0 x 56.0 mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- DFI® with four 38 mm Keihin throttle bodies, oval sub-throttles
- TCBI Digital Advance
- Front Suspension
- 41 mm inverted cartridge fork with stepless compression and rebound damping, adjustable spring preload / 4.7 in.
- Rear Suspension
- Horizontal monoshock with stepless rebound damping, adjustable spring preload / 5.4 in.
- Front Brakes
- Dual 300 mm petal-type rotors with radial-mount four-piston calipers
- Rear Brakes
- Single 250 mm petal-type rotor with single-piston caliper
- Front Tire
- 120/70 ZR17
- Rear Tire
- 190/50 ZR17
- 56.7 in.
- Seat Height
- 32.1 in.
- 24.5 deg.
- 4.1 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 4.0 gal.
- Final Drive
- X-Ring Chain
- 12 months