2010 Kawasaki Z1000
- Engine Type: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, inline-four
- Displacement: 1043 cc
- Bore & Stroke: 77.20 x 50.9 mm
- Compression Ratio: 11.8:1
- Fuel Injection: DFI® with four 38mm Keihin throttle bodies, oval sub-throttles
- Ignition: TCBI Digital Advance
- Transmission: 6-Speed
- Final Drive: X-Ring Chain
- Frame Type: Aluminum Backbone
- Rake/Trail: 24.5 deg. / 4.1 in.
- Front Suspension/Wheel Travel: 41 mm inverted cartridge fork with stepless compression and rebound damping, adjustable spring preload / 4.7 in.
- Rear Suspension/Wheel Travel: Horizontal monoshock with stepless rebound damping, adjustable spring preload / 5.4 in.
- Front Tire Size: 120/70 ZR17
- Rear Tire Size: 190/50 ZR17
- Wheelbase: 56.7 in.
- Front Brake Type: Dual 300mm petal-type rotors with radial-mount four-piston calipers
- Rear Brake Type: Single 250mm petal-type rotor with single-piston caliper
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 4.9 gal.
- Seat Height: 32.1 in.
- Overall Length: 82.5 in.
- Overall Width: 31.7 in.
- Overall Height: 42.1 in.
- Color: Pearl Stardust White, Metallic Spark Black
- Warranty: 12 months
- Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 16-valve 1,043cc inline-four offers greater torque and a stronger top-end rush than previous Z1000 models
- Bore and stroke of 77.0 x 56.0 mm were chosen to achieve the desired engine character —strong in the everyday rpm range most used by naked super bikes
- 38mm downdraft throttle bodies allow intake air to travel to the engine in the shortest possible distance
- Oval sub-throttles help keep the engine slim — a good thing since the throttle bodies are positioned between the rider's knees
- Soft rev limiter provides good overrev; power doesn't drop off suddenly at high rpm
- Crankshaft and transmission shafts are arranged in a straight line instead of a triangular layout, to maintain the design from the previous Z1000 — a design that offers the best look for a naked model
- The crankshaft was lowered to allow for a longer stroke without adding engine height
- A secondary balancer, driven off a gear on the sixth web of the crankshaft, eliminates excess vibration
Cool Air System
- The intake system routes cool air to the airbox from ducts above the radiator shrouds, minimizing performance loss due to heated intake air
- Positioning the ducts close to the rider allows the intake sound to be enjoyed by the rider
- A resonator inside the airbox reduces noise at low rpm, and enhances intake sound at high rpm
- The exhaust system features a 4-into-2-pre-chamber-into-2 layout. Silencer end-caps maintain the quad-style image
- Main and pre-catalyzers ensure emissions are clean
- Thanks to the under-engine pre-chamber, silencer volume could be reduced. The silencers are also lighter. Overall exhaust system weight is about the same, but the new system offers much better mass centralization and contributes to a lower center of gravity
- Slim-type fuel pump features an integral fuel gauge
- With revised fuel tank design and the slim-type fuel pump, dead volume inside the tank is minimized; fuel capacity is 4.1 gallons
All-New Aluminum Backbone Frame
- An aluminum backbone frame designed specifically for the Z1000, and similar in concept to the frame of the Ninja ZX-10R, allows a narrow construction that is easy to grip with the knees
- Lightweight and highly rigid, the frame uses the engine as a stressed member, for a firm, planted feeling and enhanced stability
- Frame is tuned to transmit the ideal level of engine feedback directly to the rider
- The frame's five-piece construction consists of steering stem, left and right main frames, and two cross pieces. The two main frame components have open C-shaped cross sections
- As much as possible, welds were eliminated for simplicity and appearance. The frame beams and swingarm brackets are now single die-cast pieces
- The new frame uses four engine mounts; three mounts are rigid, the upper rear crankcase mount is rubber
- The rear sub-frame is a three-piece aluminum die-casting construction, light, strong and good for mass centralization
- The sub-frame is an example of form and function combined, negating the need for side covers and allowing underseat narrowness for a shorter reach to the ground
All-New Horizontal Rear Monoshock
- New rear suspension positions the shock unit and linkage above the swingarm where it's less exposed to exhaust heat and contributes to mass centralization
- Visible from the outside, the horizontal monoshock contributes to the aggressive appearance of the new Z1000
- Linkage characteristics are the same as those of a standard UNI-TRAK rear suspension: Wheel movement versus shock stroke is the same ratio
- The shock features rebound damping and spring preload adjustability
Fully Adjustable Front Fork
- The Z1000's 41mm inverted fork is adjustable for compression damping, rebound damping and spring preload — and it's protected from harm by a cool-looking shroud
- Settings are designed for both sporty back road performance and excellent comfort on the street
Handlebar, Grips and Footpegs
- The tubular handlebar is rigid-mounted, contributing to sharp, direct handling
- The Z1000's 300mm front petal brake discs are gripped by opposed four-piston radial-mount calipers. (Caliper piston size is 4x30 mm)
- A radial-pump front brake master cylinder contributes to the superb control and feel offered by the new calipers
- The rear brake is a single piston, pin-slide caliper gripping a 250mm petal disc. The caliper is mounted below the swingarm, and located by a torque rod
- A distinctive tilting instrument panel with multifunction LCD display behind an orange lens covers all systems
- Engine Type
- Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, inline-four
- 1043 cc
- Bore and Stroke
- 77.20 x 50.9 mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- DFI® with four 38mm Keihin throttle bodies, oval sub-throttles
- TCBI Digital Advance
- Front Suspension
- 41 mm inverted cartridge fork with stepless compression and rebound damping, adjustable spring preload / 4.7 in.
- Rear Suspension
- Horizontal monoshock with stepless rebound damping, adjustable spring preload / 5.4 in.
- Front Brakes
- Dual 300mm petal-type rotors with radial-mount four-piston calipers
- Rear Brakes
- Single 250mm petal-type rotor with single-piston caliper
- Front Tire
- 120/70 ZR17
- Rear Tire
- 190/50 ZR17
- 56.7 in.
- Seat Height
- 32.1 in.
- 4.1 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 4.9 gal.
- Final Drive
- X-Ring Chain
- Pearl Stardust White, Metallic Spark Black
- 12 months