2009 Kawasaki ZX-6R
- New leaner physique with a major reduction in weight and improved power delivery offer more precise control, lighter handling and better acceleration
- Camshafts are now made of SCM saving approximately 400g
- Lightweight magnesium engine covers are standard and save approximately 610g over aluminum units
- Revised top injector mounting plate saves approximately 80g
- Narrower transmission gears and revised gear dog shape provide a 170g weight savings, without compromising rigidity
- Oil pump and starter gears are machined to use less metal, shedding approximately 70g
- New inlet pressure pulse monitor enables deletion of the cam angle sensor, further contributing to engine weight reduction
- Coolant reservoir relocated and redesigned, the new shape and shorter tube save approximately 150g
- Revised and relocated heat pads contribute another 170g to weight savings
- Reshaped secondary air passages through the cylinder head contribute to more efficient cleaning of exhaust emissions
- Cassette-type transmission makes it easy to quickly swap gear ratios, reducing set-up time at the track
Increased mid-range performance
- New double bore velocity stacks feature inlets at two different heights, increasing performance in both the midand high-rpm ranges
- Increased durability from optimized cam nitriding and tappets enable high-load cam profiles, which improve overall performance
- Pistons have new profiles and improved crown finishing
- Molybdenum coated piston skirts reduce friction and help with engine break-in
- Piston rings with less tension reduce mechanical loss
- Revised cam chain guides stabilize chain motion, further reduce mechanical loss
- New exhaust collector layout contributes to improved low and mid-range performance while maintaining high-rpm performance
More precise throttle control
- Cylindrical guides added to the top of the air cleaner box ensure more accurately sprayed fuel mist from the secondary injectors into the intake funnels, improving combustion efficiency
- Longer throttle bodies increase the distance between oval sub-throttles and round main throttles 10mm, yielding a smoother transition, which reduces inlet turbulence and increases efficiency
- Revised cylinder porting delivers improved cylinder-filling and scavenging
- New ignition coils have 12% greater secondary coil current for improved combustion efficiency, adding to the improved performance
- The sub-frame is a 2-piece aluminum die-casting consisting of a front and rear section
- The new lightweight sub-frame is very narrow, for a compact and slim rear end
- Intake resonator box and supports for the instrument panel and mirrors are unitized with the Ram Air duct, contributing to weight savings and increased rigidity
- Frame brackets revised to reduce overall number of parts, which also contributes weight savings.
- New throttle housing material saves approximately 30g
Revised chassis balance and mass centralization
- Revised frame stiffness around the swingarm pivot and the rear engine mounts optimizes front-rear rigidity balance
- Engine is mounted with a steeper cylinder bank angle. Rotated around the output shaft, the engine's CG is 16mm higher
- New exhaust layout with a short side muffler lowers weight previously located under the seat
- An exhaust pre-chamber further contributes to mass centralization
Ergonomics and chassis feedback
- Seat-pegs-bar relationship was adjusted slightly, with the handlebars moved closer to the rider and turned in slightly for a more intuitive riding position
- Fuel tank profile is more flared around its top, similar to the ZX-10R, providing a larger contact patch which contributes to improved rider feedback
- Slim, waist on fuel tank makes it easy for the rider to grip the tank with his knees or to hang off in turns
- Front to back, the new seat is shorter, allowing the rider to shift his body farther back on the rear seat step, helping to reduce rider fatigue
- Steeper rake angle quickens steering response and enhances communication from the front tire
- Relocating the rear brake master cylinder reservoir forward of the swingarm mount frees up space around the footpeg, enabling a reduction of parts and contributing to weight savings
Lower seat height
- New rear sub-frame is narrower, making it easier to reach the ground
- Front of seat is narrower and seat height is approximately 10mm lower, for a slimmer riding position and a shorter reach to the pavement
- ZX-6R features the first production-use of Showa's new Big Piston Front fork (BPF) design
- The BPF eliminates many of the internal components used in a cartridge-type fork, simplifying construction and resulting in lighter overall fork weight
- The large-diameter of the BPF's internal piston allows a reduction in damping pressure, for better feedback and smoother action
- The ZX-6R swingarm uses many of the same parts as the ZX-10R; both left and right inner plates, the left outer plate, rear stand bosses, brake caliper stopper, chain guard and swingarm pivot shaft
- Greatly improves braking and initial corner turn-in
- New 220mm rear petal disc is 10mm larger
- Revised rear brake lever is now mounted coaxially with the footpeg for increased mid-stroke braking efficiency and improved feeling
Race-quality steering damper
- A race quality adjustable Öhlins steering damper with relief valve and twin-tube design is fitted as standard equipment
- New fairing offers better wind protection and was designed to minimize the effects of cross winds
- Position lamps are now integral with the projector beam headlights; the new Ninja ZX-6R now features dual position lamps like the ZX-10R
- New one-piece fender (previously a three-piece construction) offers improved aerodynamics
- New inner fender above the swingarm helps to reduce turbulence and keep the undertail clean
- Revised front brake hose routing with a three-way joint at the lower triple-clamp facilitates bleeding air from the brake lines
- Similar in design to that of the ZX-10R, the new instrument panel gives at-a-glance information to the rider
- Engine Type: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, inline-four
- Displacement: 599 cc
- Bore x Stroke: 67.0 x 42.5mm
- Compression Ratio: 13.3:1
- Fuel Injection: DFI® with four 38mm Keihin throttle bodies, oval sub-throttles, two injectors per throttle body
- Ignition: TCBI with digital advance
- Transmission: 6-Speed
- Final Drive: X-Ring Chain
- Rake/Trail: 24 deg / 4.0 in.
- Frame type: Aluminum perimeter
- Front Tire Size: 120/70-ZR17
- Rear Tire Size: 180/55-ZR17
- Wheelbase: 55.1 in.
- Front Suspension / wheel travel: 41 mm inverted Showa Big Piston Front fork with top-out springs, stepless compression and rebound damping, fully-adjustable spring preload / 4.7 in.
- Rear Suspension / wheel travel: Bottom-Link Uni-Trak® with gas-charged shock, top-out spring and pillow ball upper mount, dual-range (high/low-speed) stepless compression damping, 25-way adjustable rebound damping, fully-adjustable spring preload / 5.2 in.
- Front Brake Type: Dual 300mm petal rotors with dual radial-mounted, four-piston, four-pad calipers
- Rear Brake Type: Single 220mm petal rotor with single-piston caliper
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 4.5 gal.
- Seat Height: 32.3 in.
- Curb Weight: 421.2 lbs.
- Color: Lime Green, Metallic Diablo Black / Flat Super Black, Candy Surf Blue / Flat Super Black
- Warranty: 12 months
- Good Times™ Protection Plan: 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
- Engine Type
- Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, inline-four
- 599 cc
- Bore and Stroke
- 67.0 x 42.5 mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- DFI® with four 38 mm Keihin throttle bodies, oval sub-throttles, two injectors per throttle body
- TCBI with digital advance
- Front Suspension
- 41 mm inverted Showa Big Piston Front fork with top-out springs, stepless compression and rebound damping, fully-adjustable spring preload; Travel: 4.7 in.
- Rear Suspension
- Bottom-Link Uni-Trak® with gas-charged shock, top-out spring and pillow ball upper mount, dual-range (high/low-speed) stepless compression damping, 25-way adjustable rebound damping, fully-adjustable spring preload; Travel: 5.2 in.
- Front Brakes
- Dual 300 mm petal rotors with dual radial-mounted, four-piston, four-pad calipers
- Rear Brakes
- Single 220 mm petal rotor with single-piston caliper
- Front Tire
- Rear Tire
- 55.1 in.
- Seat Height
- 32.3 in.
- 4.0 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 4.5 gal.
- Dry Weight
- 421.2 lbs
- Final Drive
- X-Ring Chain
- Lime Green, Metallic Diablo Black / Flat Super Black, Candy Surf Blue / Flat Super Black
- Standard: 12 months; Optional: Good Times™ Protection Plan: 12, 24, 36 or 48 months